Monday, October 5, 2015

About me and my reads......

Hey world! So my name is Jasmine and I was named after the princess, no lie. I'm a senior in high school and my main goal right now is to graduate which is why I'm posting this blog, since it's a homework assignment and all. (Thanks Mrs. Smith!) LOL

I play volleyball, am employed, love the Lion King and Rocky IV, favorite color is purple and J. Cole is my heart.

As for literature, I love reading books that I'm not forced to read. As a sophomore I wasn't really interested in Hester Prynne's adulterous acts or her disobedient child but regardless of how I felt I still had to read The Scarlet Letter and hated every second of it. Nor did I enjoy reading Macbeth, but again, I'm just trying to graduate.

I've snuck some books into my leisure time. Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng was a favorite of mine. It was such an awkward book and I loved it. It captured how it felt to be a minority in America through an Asian family of 5. A white mother, an Asian father, 2 daughters and 1 son. The parents' marriage had been damaged when their oldest daughter was found dead in a lake. Although they tried to deny it, she had killed herself because she absolutely hated her life. It was a great read but its ending was a little......bad.

I'm currently reading Jasmine by Bharati Mukherjee and it's very similar to Everything I Never Told You! I'm about 1/3 of the way through. Once I finish I'll let you know how it went!

3 comments:

  1. I love how you still have your love for reading Jasmine! Teach me your ways. lol. But I love the quirkiness of your blog so far. The way you write sounds just like you. Not to serious, not forced and really fun. I can't wait to read more of your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasmine! I love how you introduced yourself in the beginning and mentioned some of the things you are into. I think it’s so interesting that you were named after the princess Jasmine. I am literally a Disney fanatic. I love everything Disney so I think that’s so cool! Anyways, can I also be a part of your lesson on how to enjoy books? LOL! What made you pick the book Jasmine to read and did you enjoy the book now that you have read it? I can’t wait to read more posts from you and begin this journey so that we can all graduate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First and foremost I find it really refreshing that you still enjoy reading! It seems that this is hard to find these days judging by how most of our class feels about the subject. I totally understand that reading books you don't want to read can be grueling and you have to force yourself to read them because as you said you're just trying to graduate which was really funny to me! Everything I Never Told You sounds very interesting especially with the unfortunate event of the daughter committing suicide. However, I hate stories that have bad endings so because it does it's kind of a deal breaker for me, but still maybe worth the read? I don't know, I guess I'll have to find that out for myself lol. But regarding your blog it's very pretty (we have the same theme!!) and I can tell your posts will be lively just like your personality. I know for a fact your blog will be entertaining and I will anticipate what's in store for it!!

    ReplyDelete