So initially, when Mrs. Smith had said we were studying Gothic literature, I chuckled a little. I did not know that she was being dead serious until she looked me in my eye and said "No, seriously." I got kind of scared, but after learning the elements of a Gothic work and reading Wuthering Heights, I have found a new appreciation for a gloomy setting and a twisted love story.
One of the most prevalent elements of a Gothic work is a gloomy setting, which consists of ghosts, mysterious architecture and other supernatural beings. Brontë accomplishes this prerequisite when she reveals Catherine's ghost to Lockwood the night he sleeps at Wuthering Heights. This event is what triggered Lockwood's unstoppable and incurable curiosity about the people who live in Wuthering Heights (as he lives in Thrushcross Grange). After that night, he goes home and persists to ask Nelly questions so that he can figure out what is going on in the moors of which he now lives. This then leads to the various perspectives and points of view that the story is narrated in. Another element of a work of Gothic literature is romance. Yes, it is an element found in many forms of literature but in Wuthering Heights it is different. The novel reveals flaws in seriously flawed people, especially through the characters of Catherine and Heathcliff. In a world full of judgement, some might say it is difficult for such a flawed person to find someone to share love with. But in Wuthering Heights we see the two feel so passionately for each other that they sacrifice things and make some of the hardest decisions for the other to be well off. For example, Catherine speaks of Heathcliff saying "I love him: and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same" (chapter 9) In this situation, Catherine is speaking on how she cannot marry Heathcliff, and that she will marry Linton and will use his money to take care of Heathcliff. Despite her inability to be with Heathcliff she still guarantees that she will be looking out for him all the while with her husband. There is something about this act that cuts deep, hits home for me... Because I know how stingy people can be with their time when it comes to loving someone. Not everyone will sacrifice their liberation for another person, which is how this romance is part of Gothic literature. Despite how flawed the both of them are, Catherine and Heathcliff are in love and both mean the world to one another.
Despite that there were critics who read Wuthering Heights and responded with reviews telling Emily Brontë vicious things, like to kill her own self, she truly did an amazing job with this novel. She demonstrated a twisted love story through a gothic novel, one that showed me having flaws does not disqualify you from the game of love, and that everybody has a somebody.


Hi Jasmine! I really liked your post! I like how you showcased your voice in the beginning and then changed it up to a more sophisticated, analytical type of writing. This created tons of balance and dimension to your post. The first element of Gothic literature you discussed was a gloomy setting. You did this really well. I think your discussion of Catherine’s ghost was good but if you wanted to improve it you could have added textual evidence and explained how the gloomy setting led to various perspectives and what the perspectives actually were. The second element you discussed was romance. I love how you discussed how Brontë used romance in the novel to present that idea that no matter who you are everyone can find love even if you may be flawed. Also, you included evidence in this paragraph which helped support your claim and made it more convincing. Overall, you did a good job I really enjoyed your blog post. You made some really good points and connected it to the book as a whole which allowed your blog post to come full circle. This post was really interesting and you showed tons of improvement. I can’t wait to read more from you! Until next time. Bye!
ReplyDeleteOmg girl great job! I agree with Bethany I loved how your post went from you showcasing your own voice, and then developing more of a sophisticated tone as your writing progresses. It adds variety to your writing which makes it all the more interesting! Best of all, you included textual evidence and you know how much I hound you on it so I’m very proud! I really loved your analysis of the quotation as it fully supports your claim that even though people are flawed, we can find love which is evident to these two intense, and obsessive characters. Also you upgraded your vocabulary which just adds to your sophisticated and formal tone as well as prove how much of an intellect you truly are, you just have to put the work in! I liked that you related the novel to its Gothic genre and how it plays a huge part in how the novel is crafted and interpreted, especially within the characters. Your use of pictures makes your work more vivid and provides the reader with some sort of a visual aspect to your words and I think the John Green quotation you used is so adorable and really relates to your claim and the overall conflict of Wuthering Heights. This is quite the good work Jasmine and I hope it gets better from here! Keep it up I’m rooting for you!
ReplyDelete